November 19, 2009

Problems with Ubuntu

Unfortunately, I am having some serious driver problems with Ubuntu on my desktop. I recently upgraded to Biostar TA790GX-128mb motherboard. The board is nice on paper, HD3300 integrated graphics card, nice integrated sound card, AM3 and AM2+ support, All kinds of video output jacks blah blah... However, ATI's proprietary driver for the integrated graphics card is horrible. It can barely handle compiz with a lot of stuttering. The overall desktop becomes extremely sluggish and irritating.

Not only that, but my noname wireless card, which used to work very nicely under Ubuntu, started to behave weirdly after upgrading to Karmic. Technically speaking, I have a 4mbit connection. I used to download at speeds around 400kb/s before karmic. Now, after Karmic, the internet speed is limited to 60kb/s, i.e. 0.5 mbit/s. I don't know why or how Ubuntu developers limited my connection to 0.5 mbit/s. It is "annoying" in the nicest of words. I tried in vain to fix it, nothing works.

If you have any hints on how to fix any of my head aches, please let me know.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Can be the reason that ipv6 enabled defaultly ? Have u tried to disable ipv6 on /etc/modprobe.d/aliases or from somewhere?

Burkay Genc said...

Well, I tried turning it off from firefox and it didn't help a bit. I think it is more a driver problem than a protocol problem.

Unknown said...

I had same problem with previous version before the offical fixes. Disabling ipv6 in firefox is not enough unfortunately. You need to disable ipv6 on ubuntu kernel, even some crazy people re-compiled their kernel for this problem :).

here is the some tutorial how to disable ipv6 on Karmic 9.10 =>
http://www.joehacker.com/index.php?title=Ubuntu_Tips#Disable_IPv6_on_Karmic_9.10

And this is the another fix with DNSs =>
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/567-internet-connexion-is-very-slow-on-karmic-koala-solution-

They probably fix the problem, actually in previous versions I've fixed my problems in these ways.

Burkay Genc said...

Interesting. I will check this tonight and let everybody know.

Burkay Genc said...

Disabling ipv6 at the bootloader level didn't help as well. Here is my latest test results:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/632665918.png

It is really driving me crazy. Even my upload speed is higher than download.