January 16, 2009

I started working on Zindan

I finally gave start to my first Java Roguelike: Zindan. With my currently bloated schedule, I don't know how much time I will be able to spare to work on this project, but I had to start it at some point. Considering that in the next term I will be teaching an IE course, I may fast drift away from the world of programming unless I hone my skills frequently with this kind of toy projects.

Well, actually this is not 'planned' to be a toy project, but a real, very playable roguelike at the end. I have been playing roguelikes for years by now. Clearly, the beauty of a roguelike is not the interface but the inner game mechanics. How items interact with each other, how creatures behave, how players survive in unexpected ways are the key elements of success for a roguelike. Therefore, my goal will be to produce a very flexible game core which allows even unexpected actions to be realized both by the player and the NPCs. Ofcourse, this is not a simple task. And even I don't know how I am going to do that. But in time, each piece will fall into place and things will be more clear. My first goal is to create the skeleton of the project, including all base classes for creatures and items, IO classes and level generators.

This is going to be one hell of a quest to complete!

No comments: